homehomeaboutthepurplechaisestorycontactblogrolldiyprojects

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Can,You Can...Let's All Do the Can-Can!!


{via pinterest}

Over the past couple years I have overcome a WHOLE lot. Yes, I am totally patting my own back here. I became a single mother when Kallie wasn't even 3 months old. I remember the moment I realized I was going to be doing the biggest job in the world by myself. It wasn't one of those ah-ha moments where everything became clear and everything clicked into place. It has been a long road to the mother/person I have become today. It has been a lot of sweat and tears. Everything still hasn't clicked into place but I am starting to realize that I am picking up the puzzle pieces of my life and fitting them together to create my journey.

Growing up I always had these crazy dreams. You can ask my elementary school teachers, I had quite the imagination. I always wanted to be an actress. In my mind, I was going to go to California and become this famous movie star...that was until I realized you actually had to work to become something like that. I played around with it for years but never did anything about it but talk about it.

There has always been this one quote or part of a quote that I never fully understood. "You can do anything you set your mind to." I've always had a love/hate relationship with it. Didn't people realize the work you had to do to achieve this? I think before I became a mother I never had to work hard towards anything. I just expected to have things given to me if I wanted them. 

I have been working for my company now for three years. I came in knowing nothing at all about what my business does. I worked my tale off for a little over a year and a half to learn anything I could until I was brought on full time. Sometimes I joke that they hired me because I wouldn't leave. Really. I would come in even when they weren't paying me. I was bound and determined that I was going to work for my company and be able to proudly support my daughter and myself on my own. I can now say I am doing that.

I now understand that quote because I have done the work to achieve something. I live for hard work and I know that I can achieve anything I set my mind to. My dreams have changed from when I was younger but I know they are in reach. I can do anything and it has now become part of me to teach my daughter through achieving my dreams that nothing is out of her reach.


1 comment: